All trial participants will be asked to do the following after being discharged home:
- Complete questionnaires and functional tasks after 4 weeks and again after 6 months
- Keep and submit records of your health and community services. This information will be collected on a monthly basis by a member of your rehabilitation team.
- Submit information about any further hospital admissions. You can provide a submission online.
- Complete a final assessment 12 months after discharge. This will take about 15 minutes over the phone. It involves completing 2 questionnaires plus submitting final health records.
At the end of the trial, you may be asked to participate in a 30-minutes interview about your discharge and trial experience.
For all assessments, questionnaires and the interview, our research team will come to you. You will not be required to travel back to the hospital.
Home based occupational therapy discharge planning (experimental group)
If you are randomised to the home based group:
- You will receive 2 visits from an occupational therapist after discharge to build on the rehabilitation discharge plans you made with your rehabilitation team, and help connect you back into your community (your community rehabilitation team, important community activities, and your GP)
- You will also receive 2 phone support sessions with an occupational therapist